This was an improvisational recipe that I tried out on Easter. I made the *gluten free version and crossed my fingers. The stars must’ve aligned, because this was delicious!
Carrot Cake (Possibly Gluten Free)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of oil (I used safflower but vegetable, canola, or any mild tasting oil would work–you could also try melted coconut oil)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (I used a gluten free flour mix from Glutino) *
- 1 cup of ground almonds (pulse blanched almonds in blender or food processor until powdery/grainy, but not until almond butter) or store-bought almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon mace (optional, but it really adds something)
- zest of a whole lemon (save the rest of the lemon; you’ll need the juice for your frosting)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup of dried cranberries (raisins would work too)
- 3 cups grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Grease 2 round 9-inch cake pans and add a round piece of parchment paper to the bottom of each.
- Cream sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add oil, vanilla, and lemon zest and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, ground almonds, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until blended.
- Mix in grated carrots, walnuts, and cranberries. Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool (ideally on a rack) while you make your cream cheese frosting (below).
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice (to taste)
- 2-3 cups of powdered sugar (start with 2, and add more to get to a good consistency)
Beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar and lemon juice and continue to mix until smooth.